Thread: Coming out
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm out all over the place!

Fly and I have our facebook relationship statuses set to "in an open relationship with Fly/Jenny," and my family knows that I'm dating Moonlight also. Everyone at work and all our friends know, and Moonlight's friends and family know that I have a boyfriend/stepkid. Heck, even the woman who owns my favorite boutique knows, and will ask if I'm shopping for something special for one of my lovers or for someone new.

Despite the fact that I'm in a somewhat sensitive occupation (childcare), I've had no negative fallout whatsoever, either professionally or personally. My boss even gave me a +2 on my company christmas party invite.

I've encountered curiosity, envy, and disbelief, but that's it. I attribute it mostly to living in a fairly liberal place, and to the fact that I treat it as normal so everyone else does too. I've never "come out" to anyone (except my sister when I told her that Moonlight was officially my girlfriend), but I talk about my partners quite a bit in normal conversation, so it doesn't take long for people to figure it out. I almost never use the word polyamory, though, since I think it sounds kind of pretentious sometimes, and most people haven't really heard of it anyway.

Funny story - Moonlight's daughter called her up a few months ago and said, "Hey! I just watched this show on tv, and there's a nice name for what you're doing with Jenny. It's called polyamory!"

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy), and his 9-year-old son Kiddo