View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagomase View Post
The point to this long, unnecessary story is a question I'd like to pose - why does it seem that monogamy and honesty together are becoming such a rare commodity? I have no problems with monogamy, and I could do it again if I wanted or needed to, but if there's one thing I would take away from having an open-relationship it would be that honesty and communication are what makes ANY relationship work. Why do so many marriages end in a divorce - overshadowed by an affair, a secret kept, or needs unfulfilled with what could have been rectified with a little honesty and communication? I don't really need you good folks to answer these for me, I just needed to get the remnants of an uncomfortable weekend off of my chest.
I think it has nothing to do with monogamy. I've known plenty of poly people who have been less than honest or disclosed after the fact. And I've known plenty of monogamous people who are direct and up front about everything that comes up.

In fact, I've noticed that there is a bigger difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships than there is between monogamous and polyamorous relationships. One style is not more inherently honest than the other.