View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM

I know some couples in 'mixed' marriages, one partner being quite introverted and the other very extroverted. They make it work by accepting each other as they are. They don't always understand each other instinctively or intuitively because they are so different. They have to work at it. They don't ignore the friction of living with someone so different and let annoyances and frustrations build up. They've done research on what introversion and extroversion actually are, instead of the more conventional ideas, which tend to be more judgmental unfortunately.

Have you looked at what introversion and extroversion are? If not, you would probably find it very useful and open up whole ways to understand your wife, and her, you.

They just mean where people find their 'charge'. Extroverts get energy from being around people. For many extroverts, being alone for too long is really draining and uncomfortable. Introverts need alone time to recharge. They find being around people too much to be exhausting.

Extroverts are often outgoing and introverts tend to be more quiet. But that is not always true. Some introverts are outgoing but still need time alone after being social. It is also not true that introverts are not social or don't like people. Being introverted is not the same as being shy or withdrawn.

'Quiet: The Power of Introverts' by Susan Cain is both fascinating and deeply illuminating. I know my quite extroverted friend found it extremely helpful in better understanding her introverted husband.

'A Simple Explanation' is the shortest, sweetest explanation of introversion I've ever seen. Plus it's funny: http://twentytwowords.com/2012/08/29...th-introverts/