View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsirenn View Post
YES. I could. I have and I could do it again. That is because of how I view "love". I realize there is something else there, inside of you that many define as love. I don't believe it is love.
Hmmmmm,

Very interesting !
So what do you think this 'something' is ?
And are you meaning to say that you could - or couldn't - 'cancel' that 'something' from your life like you imply that you can cancel your definition of love ?

Love to understand this more........ (oops ! )

And this....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
Some of those feelings that love is sometimes used to blanket over, such as compassion, empathy, generosity, etc. can stick around
So maybe love is really more of an umbrella term made up of various component parts ?
So if I were for example to pick one - say compassion - is it safe for me to say that if I feel deep compassion for someone, that I 'love' them ? Would that be accurate ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat
I would never presume to "define" love. You know it when you feel it. It's like an orgasm: If you have to ask "was that it?" ... that wasn't it.
And this. I like this. I can relate to it - and think many others can too.
But what IS this "feeling" ? And can you tune it out - deny it ?
Because we're (or at least not I) trying to 'define' love - but to better understand it. If someone tells me they 'love' me - I want to understand better what that implies. And maybe the only implication is that it's going to lead to a conversation such as this
But somewhere, down deep, I don't want to do that. I just want to be able to accept it - as the gift it is ?
And it's only when I go to return that gift and maybe our understanding is not the same that problems arise ?

GS

Last edited by GroundedSpirit; 02-18-2010 at 08:21 PM.