View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandalin View Post
I'm actually curious at to how you are defining "sexuality".
Yes, this is something that I was thinking about in this post as well.

I talked a bit in this post on another thread about how I've been defining sexuality in the context of sex education. The program I work with uses a model called "Circles of Sexuality". It describes five interlinked circles in which each circle represents an aspect of our sexuality, but each circle is connected to each other circle. So while they are separate aspects, they are still closely inter-connected.

They are:

Sensuality- Awareness, acceptance of, and comfort with one's own body; physiological and psychological enjoyment of ones own body and the bodies of others. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Body image
  • Human sexual response cycle
  • Skin hunger
  • Fantasy
Intimacy- The ability and need to experience emotional closeness to another human being and have it returned. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Caring
  • Sharing
  • Loving/Liking
  • Risk taking
  • Vulnerability
  • Self-disclosure
  • Trust
Sexual Identity-The devlopment of a sense of who one is sexually, including a sense of maleness or femaleness. Including but not limited to:
  • Gender identity
  • Gender role
  • Sexual orientation
  • Biological sex
Sexual Health and Reproduction- Attitudes and behaviors related to producing children, care and maintenance of the sex and reproductive organs and health consequences of sexual behavior. Including but not limited to:
  • Factual information
  • Feelings and attitudes
  • Sexual/reproductive systems
  • Physiology an anatomy of reproductive organs
  • Intercourse
Sexualization- The use of sexuality to influence, control or manipulate others. Including but not limited to:
  • Rape
  • Incest
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Withholding sex
  • Seduction/flirting