View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabe_muse View Post
When you go on a date, do you keep your wedding ring on if you are married? What about when just out in public (grocery store, the park) where you might meet a stranger that say "hi"?

I've been thinking about this for the last few days. I'd almost feel naked without it on. I just don't know what my protocol should be. Any past experiences anyone can share with me?
I only take mine off when I'm doing activities where it can be lost or damaged.

There is no "should" for the protocol you choose to follow. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and happy is what you "should" do.

Hmm.. random thoughts about wearing it and the effect that would have on potential dates... I personally can't be bothered to "initiate" anyone into polyamory. As far as I'm concerned, someone who would see my ring and think of me as "off-limits" is not worth my time. Similarly, someone who completely rejects marriage and what it represents probably won't understand my lifestyle and we'd have some pretty insurmountable challenges in dating... so taking off my ring to not scare them off is similarly a waste of time. My marriage takes up a lot of my available time. School takes up most of the rest. So for me, the ideal partners are also married or at least seriously committed, because they won't be relying on me for their main source of companionship. Since married poly folk are less likely to be scared off by a wedding ring, it's probably more of a built-in filter than a detriment...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."