View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
...I now describe my relationship as a multi partner open relationship.
I like this term, it's very clean and positive. But there's still a problem, and I'm not sure if any term we could come up with would combat it:

A while back I read an article about breast-feeding literature, and the fact that even though breastfeeding was shown to have a lot of benefits over not breastfeeding including better mother-child bonding, immune system benefits, higher IQ for the child later in life... women were still choosing not to breastfeed. (I'm not 100% sure that those are all benefits of breastfeeding, it was a while since I read the article, but they were something like that.) The reason, they realized, was that they were framing breastfeeding as the option and not breastfeeding as the accepted norm, and more new mothers were opting for the accepted norm. So there's been some effort to reframe things, by saying that not breast-feeding results in poorer bonding, less immune response, lower IQ... (again, don't quote me.) and therby portraying it as a less desirable option, and breastfeeding as the norm.

It would be ideal to have a term that could do this. Rather than having one that explains how we are different from the norm, find one that makes poly a norm.

I'm not sure I explained that very well... Any thoughts?

Last edited by classycaveman; 02-14-2010 at 10:05 PM.