View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Denial

Quote from Marcus
"While I do find denial (willful ignorance of reality) to be an unhealthy trait for the most part, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was merely stating that DADT is a state of willful denial. That's not a value judgment, just a rational assessment of the reality of the agreement.

I'm not sure about the world falling apart within hours, simply because all of its human inhabitants suddenly decided not to be willfully ignorant of reality but I'd be up for hearing your defense of such an interesting assertion. It would be a purely academic exercise though since there is exactly 0% chance of that happening."

I'll just state first that this is just my opinion and it doesn't matter to me whether anyone agrees with me or not. It is something I have thought about in the past and haven't given it much thought recently, but since you asked I'll present my perspective. And now that I have developed my thoughts a bit more, I think it would make in interesting book or movie!

I probably would actually prefer a world without denial, but when I follow the thought through I realize that so much is built on it that everything would have to fall apart first and who knows how it would be restructured. ....maybe it would be better in the long run, but it would be tragic at first.

Denial is what keeps people in unhealthy relationships with drug addicts, alcoholics and abusive people. It is also what prevents a parent from removing a child out of a toxic or abusive relationship or environment.

If just the denial that exists which keeps us from objectively assessing the people we are choosing to be in relationship with- a large number of relationships would end immediately....probably better in the long run because people with hurtful intentions would not be able to manipulate anyone any more. But in the beginning, it would be chaotic.

Another major area that would cause chaos (again- just my opinion) is that some of the beliefs we have based our culture on -our relationships on, our religions on simply don't make logical sense.

Monogamy is one of them. Yes- there is a part of me that is really irritated by the way our culture can deny that this simply isn't really working.

And this isn't really the place to get into religion and how much denial of reality has to exist to hold it up....so i won't get into that- although two of my favorite topics are God and Sex and I like talking about them in the same conversation!

Last edited by idealist; 08-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.