View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Part of what we had to get over when we started to open our marriage was that you do not OWN anyone, you do not BELONG to anyone. It's been romanticized for a long time to 'belong' to someone or to belong somewhere. So we did start changing how we refer to each other. Hubby refers to me as Wife. Capital W as we are legally married and there are plenty of poly people that call more than one partner husband or wife. I use DH for darling hubby or just say Hubby. Though to be honest, I mostly say hon out loud. I refer to both hubby and boyfriend as hubby.

I know some people don't like the term boyfriend and I admit it sometimes comes off seeming juvenile but boyfriend likes the terms boyfriend and girlfriend because right now we are long distance and while that means nothing to emotions it means logistically things are different than other relationships.

Thinking about it, I don't really say MY kids either. I say the kids, or by names or whatever nicknames I use when I am not in a place (real or internet) where I want private information out on them. So I refer to them as people, not property.

Side note: This does not count when they are in trouble. Then they 'belong' to hubby, or if he catches them first, they 'belong' to me. As in "She so gets that from you!" or "Oh that one is all you!"