Thread: Link Posting
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisare View Post
So it's ok to spam the members by announcing that you're making a product and selling it and then soliciting them to PM you ... but it's not ok to post a link to a product you have no affiliation with other than as a satisfied customer?

Please note I have no problem with what Macbeth did. I do have a problem with the "spirit" of the rule and how it's being applied. Spamming is spamming and to say one is ok and the other is not seems to be rather contradictory and hypocritical to me.

I don't understand the rule.
Hi Crisare,

First of all, the moderators have to deal with a constant stream of spam. It comes in tons daily. We set rules for this, and one of them was no links to commercial sites (except poly-oriented). We could possibly start discerning between established users linking to sites, and non-established users linking to sites. However, there might be folk that try to 'blend in' and then link. I also understand that a link to a site like google is pretty harmless, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Macbeth's thread about the wooden 'toys' is a nice example. He does not link to his sales page, but if people want to contact him to get one they can. It will be up to the moderators to discern if he's actually here to just sell his toys or not. Not being allowed to link or requiring users to look up an item forms a bigger barrier to prevent potential spam. The more effort it requires, the less effective spam becomes. Only if the user is really interested will they put the time in doing it. So in my opinion, Rarechild perfectly applied the rules, and there is no need to change them. Also, don't look at it as a 'punishment' or 'slap on the hands', it's just a gentle reminder that these are the rules, and that people here have to abide by them. Nuff said, it's nothing personal

I hope this clarifies it.