Thread: Link Posting
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisare View Post
I would like to protest this rule.

I got my hand slapped for linking to a site that sells sex toys in response to someone who said he was making that kind of (unique) sex toy and wanted to know people's thoughts on them.

I have no affiliation with the business I linked, nor do I receive any compensation from them. I posted the links to help another member who was posting about something he was doing - making sex toys for sale - and to share information about a product I use and like.

So my concern here is twofold:

1 - Apparently posting a whole thread talking about the sex toys you make and sell (or plan to sell) and talking about PMing members to discuss purchasing/making those products is ok (which is clearly contradictory to the spirit of the "no commercial links" rule).

2 - The way this rule is written it means contributing members are not allowed to refer businesses or products that they use and have had good results with.

I think this is an extreme way of enforcing a no spamming rule. It is pretty obvious who regular members are vs. people who are just spamming. It's pretty obvious when someone is pimping something vs. recommending something to their friends/peers.

I own and run message boards of my own, and I would never place a blanket ban against all links of all kinds. I think that's counterproductive to the idea of a community - one that helps and supports each other.

I'd like to see this rule rethought and rewritten. The way it's written now, someone wouldn't even be allowed to post a link to something they bought and were excited about (say the boots I bought this weekend and might want to share with my friends) because it would be a link to a commercial site.
Like I said in my PM to you, you are welcome to suggest companies who sell products you recommend. However, you are not welcome to post commercial links. If you give the name of the company, people can find them easily by searching for them.

Macbeth did the right thing not posting a link to a site that sold his products, but rather dealing with individuals if they had questions.

Your post has been being discussed in moderation and we will discuss it further now that you have publicly protested it.

The rules are clear- we do not want to blur the lines because it is unnecessary and would just create a bad situation when we are dealing with more spammy posts.

I will speak to you personally in PM's from here on in.

I love Catfish and Charlie.