View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 AM

Oh, despite the hurdles and impromptu projects, I adore this house. Hardwood throughout - could use a resanding and refinishing, but with area rugs, it looks great. Oak built-in bookcases in the living room with leaded glass fronts. Original hardware on the bedroom and bathroom doors upstairs, including the glass doorknobs. Original brass hardware on the front door (that the jackasses at the bank put a drywall screw through in order to keep it "locked" because they lost the key). Nice hearth for a wood stove. Gorgeous dark oak woodwork. Overall, you know this house has a lot of history and character. Not sterile at all.

I passed up a condo in move-in condition (and granite countertops - sigh) for a few reasons and found my project-filled masterpiece.

Good Lord, if that doesn't sound like the perfect analogy for my relationship, or what.

I adore P. He and I have a hell of a connection - can talk about damn near anything (you should have heard us geeking out together after seeing Pacific Rim - Giant Robot/kaijuu fans deconstructing all the archetypes in the movie... wheee!), can work together, don't judge each other - it's incredibly refreshing to be loved and appreciated for who you are, and ENCOURAGED to be myself, and I try to do the same for him. We just "click". So the hurdles, the projects, the "Oh, shit - I didn't want to deal with this NOW!" moments... when compared to the overall picture, they're all worth it. And getting through them will only help (and HAVE only helped) to make the overall relationship even better.

I can't wait 'til we have the time and money to tackle the kitchen.