Thread: hypocrisy
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
What do you care? You want to date this person? This is a stranger on a dating site who responded to your ad JUST to tell you that you suck. Why would you want to pursue this? I wouldn't have even replied to her in the first place.
Well I replied to HER ad, and I don't actually care about her specifically, I've already written her off as a potential mate since she's obviously not poly-minded. It's not like she said "I have poly friends and I think they're full of shit." She's never heard of poly, and her only experience with non-monogamy is cheaters.

I just wonder how we're ever going to get our lifestyle out in the open if we don't explain things to one person at a time. Mono people have no interest in reading our articles or websites to try and see things from our side, so that's obviously not the way to get the word out.

A lot of people have been hurt by being cheated on, or by falling in love with someone that was cheating, and so this is all they know about non-monogamy. They don't understand that there's a healthy, happy way to do it.

The only way to change the world's preconceptions is one person at a time...

Homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted by mainstream society, even though there are still a lot of biggots. But at the very least, EVERYONE has heard of it. You can't say that about poly. So we're not even near the stage of trying to get people to think it's "ok." They've heard the polygamous model where some Christian man is the head of a household of several wives that just have to do what he says because he's the boss. Their feelings and sexual desires are not important. And if I still thought that's what polyamory was, I would want NO PART of it.

Last edited by quila; 01-29-2010 at 10:02 PM.