View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quila View Post
Someone said something about the experience gained by older people having been through the trenches, and I definitely value the insight that their experience has given them. I happen to be one of the lucky few who can learn from the mistakes of others (I've never pissed on a fence, I hear it really f'ing hurts though). I just don't feel like I could access that wealth of knowledge from a bunch of 20-somethings, all of us stumbling about in the dark, repeating mistakes that others could have warned us about if we'd have bothered to hang out with them and listen to their advice.

This is certainly true and I very much value what intergenerational communities can offer, particularly when it comes to sharing experiences and hard learned lessons. I'm also in the camp of those who will GLADLY learn from the mistakes of others. However, I've found that intergenerational communities work best when the learning goes both ways. I've known quite a few wise 20-somethings in my day and younger generations tend to see things that might have been considered outrageous back in the day as "normal" in these times. It is always important to value that different perspective.

But even then, sometimes it's just good to seek support from a group of peers that share many of the same perspectives that someone might have.