View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
I agree - my attempt to bring up the topic was, perhaps, futile, but I had hoped that some good would come of it.

I very much support the idea of people creating the spaces in which they feel comfortable to talk, discuss, and solve problems, because that's what this sort of thing is about, really, isn't it?

I was just trying to make one small step (and I agree, Ceoli, not the only one necessary) to try to mend any sort of wall which may be there. The first step is talking about it, and exchanging views. Maybe this is the wrong place for that, but I don't know of a better one.
I don't think it's futile. You sensed that there may have been a subset of the poly community that may have been feeling left out, and you sought to remedy the situation.

As far as the online community goes, I don't see a problem. I haven't checked out any of the poly groups for young people, and frankly I don't feel the need to.

Someone said something about the experience gained by older people having been through the trenches, and I definitely value the insight that their experience has given them. I happen to be one of the lucky few who can learn from the mistakes of others (I've never pissed on a fence, I hear it really f'ing hurts though). I just don't feel like I could access that wealth of knowledge from a bunch of 20-somethings, all of us stumbling about in the dark, repeating mistakes that others could have warned us about if we'd have bothered to hang out with them and listen to their advice.

My city is too small to have a poly community that I can find. There's a swingers club, and I'm currently sniffing that out to see if there are any poly people hiding out there, looking for something close to identify with. So far, no dice. So I can only speak to the non-marginalization of the online community, and in this one, I have found none.