View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetaera View Post
If they are depressed and on meds & in therapy, I'd say the meds aren't working. He/she either needs new meds or an add'l med. Meds aren't the whole story, so perhaps there is an underlying issue that needs to be resolved in therapy. If the current treatments aren't working, there needs to be a change. No amount of love & support will help if an underlying issue isn't being addressed.

fyi...I'm going to Grad school for Mental Health Counseling

Sadly there isn't always an underlying issue to deal with. I would recommend the book, The Body Remembers, but it's incredibly dry and meant for those in the research side not so much the people actually dealing with depression. To sum up, the idea is quite simply that we adjust to what works. So if there were problems, say in childhood, your brain adapts. We've probably all heard the stories of a baby that doesn't cry in an abusive household because even as an infant they know not to make noise. Those things, affect your brain chemistry.

For example, this book was brought up to us because at this point, self awareness, medication and my own internal work is my best bet. I don't remember my childhood. After years of therapy and in patient as well as out patient, it was decided I probably never will. However, because of things that have happened, it has changed my brain chemistry. Permanently. So medication is needed. I can go off meds, and have, for long periods. I can learn to handle and deal, but I never have a day I'm not struggling.

Read, there are plenty of books that help, talk to a therapist that can help you work through what you need to, there are even some great visualizations that you can use, I listen to before bed, to help purge emotions that get stuck. In the end though, it is the work of the individual and support is helpful. Essential really.

Also, find a counselor with some real experience, with the heavier stuff. Schizophrenia, in patient work, that kind of thing. You learn a lot in school, and in books, but being around those with problems, actually having watched a sweet caring person go down the hill of schizophrenia and the drastic change, can't be explained in research or books. It's another thing where hands on is a huge difference.