I can toss out the opposite: why trust could not be re-built in my marriage. It's pretty much all exactly the opposite of your post, Jane.
XH cheated and lied.
- There was very little solid foundation to rebuild too.
- I later found out the lies had been ongoing.
- There was no real attempt at making amends.
- There was no real remorse, only, "I'm sorry you're hurt."
- There was no change in the behavior.
- There was no willingness to go to marriage counseling
- He took no real responsibility for his actions.
- He never really admitted he did anything wrong.
- And of course, he kept right on doing it all.
He's a textbook case in doing everything to NOT rebuild trust.