Thread: Haiti
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 10:20 PM
Custodian

Default Mini-Hijack

I just wanted to chime in on this.

I made a conscious decision to not donate any money to this because historically in the recent past (for example the 2005 Tsunamis, or was that 2006?) there has been more than enough money donated to aid catastrophe, and anything that is donated IN THE NAME of a particular event can ONLY be used toward aid to that event even if there is extra (this is how it works with the Red Cross, at least).

The biggest limitation with regard to emergency aid is in logistics and personnel. There is only so much that can physically be done within the limitations of time and space constraints. So, while it sucks for the people who have experienced injury and loss in a given situation, throwing more and more money at it is only effective up to a certain point with respect to alleviating the existential suffering that is taking place.

Having said that, I do intend to earmark a certain dollar amount that I "would" donate to remediate this tragedy and give it to the International Fund for Animal Welfare, whence I have not donated for some time. The reasoning for this is because first, they are international and that reflects the international nature of the Haiti earthquake tragedy. Second, there are many people who will be moved to donate to the Red Cross or wherever on behalf of this earthquake who would not normally do so on an every-day basis (not to toot my own horn, but I DO do my part year-round on a daily basis for that which I have taken upon myself). Third, animal charities are among the neediest and most under-appreciated organizations but they happen to be important to me, and that is where I choose to allocate my limited resources.

By no means am I implying that anyone reading this should NOT support Raven's call to assistance. However, every time there is some major "humanitarian" tragedy, it serves to underscore the many other "small" day-to-day sufferings that tend to go unnoticed and under-addressed.