View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post
Ceoli, some great stuff there, for sure. I would take issue with the "all humans are sexual", because I have known a few people who have said that they are asexual and wish to be respected for that and not be thought of as some sort of aberration. Other than that it seems like a really great start.
Actually, we do cover asexuality in this curriculum. One of the foundations of the program has to do with the definition of sexuality. This program uses a model called "The Circles of Sexuality". It describes interlinked circles and in each circle is an aspect of human sexuality as defined like this:

Sensuality- Awareness, acceptance of, and comfort with one's own body; physiological and psychological enjoyment of ones own body and the bodies of others. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Body image
  • Human sexual response cycle
  • Skin hunger
  • Fantasy
Intimacy- The ability and need to experience emotional closeness to another human being and have it returned. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Caring
  • Sharing
  • Loving/Liking
  • Risk taking
  • Vulnerability
  • Self-disclosure
  • Trust
Sexual Identity-The devlopment of a sense of who one is sexually, including a sense of maleness or femaleness. Including but not limited to:
  • Gender identity
  • Gender role
  • Sexual orientation
  • Biological sex
Sexual Health and Reproduction- Attitudes and behaviors related to producing children, care and maintenance of the sex and reproductive organs and health consequences of sexual behavior. Including but not limited to:
  • Factual information
  • Feelings and attitudes
  • Sexual/reproductive systems
  • Physiology an anatomy of reproductive organs
  • Intercourse
Sexualization- The use of sexuality to influence, control or manipulate others. Including but not limited to:
  • Rape
  • Incest
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Withholding sex
  • Seduction/flirting

While most asexuals acknowledge that they do not experience a need or desire to sexually relate to others (some do masturbate, others don't have any sexual drive) they do say that the circles of sexuality still apply to them as they are laid out in this program. Since other aspects of sexuality apply to asexuals, it still holds that all human beings are sexual. It just may manifest in different ways for some than for others.

Quote:
Again, let me make sure I am understanding what you are saying - "sex-positive" means anything that encourages healthy sexual relationships, yes? Or is there more to it? Just want to make the link.
That sounds about right, though I would add to it an intentional awareness of the dynamic of how values can sometimes impose on a definition of healthy and how to separate that out. (in other words, many times what is defined as healthy is defined by ones values rather than what might be still construed healthy in a more objective context)