View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
To me, the concept of "couple privilege" has utility in the following way. Let's say that a unicorn hunting couple says they are seeking someone with whom to have a relationship, someone who will be an equal. We see this all the time. Generally, when you begin to delve into things, however, it becomes clear that this "equality" is no such thing, and yet the couple in question is having a very hard time seeing or understanding the ways in which they are not offering, and perhaps cannot offer, equality to their new partner. They are blind to the privileges that society grants them, and that they grant each other, as "the couple" as opposed to "the third". This can apply to people in preexisting couples who are starting new separate, vee-style relationships as well.
Just curious, BP, since I know you spend some time in the Poly Relationships Corner too -- do you see the same pattern I'm describing above when you're there? If so, what would you suggest as alternative phrasing for discussing it?