View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:51 PM

I don't think that because we're already privileged in so many ways, we have to ignore things like couple privilege. There is pretty much always something worse in the world.

It kind of reminds me of when people are, for instance, fighting for animal rights, and others go "what about human rights?" Well maybe the same people are also fighting about human rights. But not everyone can be fighting only for the most important thing even if everyone agreed on what the most important thing is.

I'm not going to pretend I don't have couple privilege just because single people happen to have shelter and water privilege. To me that would amount to saying "Yeah, I get advantages you don't have. But you get to eat and drink and have a roof over your head, so shut up". Nevermind that I, too, get all these things.

Privilege is what we have and don't realise we have because we'd need it taken away from us to see what it's like not to have it. That's how I see it. And so it's good for awareness to be raised, because you can end up being a dick without meaning to, because you don't realise you're being treated with special rights, and you just assume it's normal. Doesn't make you a bad person, just realise that other people don't have these things, and make decisions accordingly.