Thread: Wow
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
I'm not sure why you'd think it's wrong to tell someone they're doing something wrong if they're new, asking for advice, and they appear to be doing it wrong. What are people supposed to do? Tell them they're doing it right? Of course people are going to say what they feel, and why. Other people will respond with rebuttal and rhetoric. Are you giving us a lecture on manners and Southern hospitality? If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? That's what i'm hearing. Correct me if i am mistaken. Tell me i'm doing it wrong. I can handle it. I probably won't agree, but i won't start a new thread pitching a tantrum about it.
You are mistaken.

It's almost as if you think that if you don't act like the person you're talking to is a total moron, then the message won't get through.

Yes, if you think that they are wrong, it's fine to say so...but you have a choice whether you do it respectfully, or whether you take the opportunity to make yourself feel big and clever by sticking the boot in showing them how stupid they are.

There's too many people that like to go around offending people all day and basically being rude and disrespectful under the guise of 'telling it like it is'.

Nycindie, thanks for proving my point. Someone says something you don't like and your response is 'WTF are you talking about?' This is exactly what I was talking about - it's possible to have a discussion with someone where you both disagree and both state your position without it turning into an aggressive slanging match.