View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
Eeek, no way, I hope the person at the other end knows their texts are not private.
As it is, when I text someone I assume that my words are not shared with anyone or not, married or not. I am not married to this other person, why should my privacy be invaded?
Well, you know what they say about assumptions... Have you ever confirmed that with people you text? If total privacy is something that's important to you, it's your responsibility to make that known to people you communicate with.

Texts are no different from other conversations. Do you assume that no one repeats anything that you tell them, ever at all?

I only consider things to be private if someone says "this is private, please don't tell anyone." Even at that, I don't consider my husband to be "anyone." We're married. Married people typically consult their spouses for support, suggestions, or just to share what's going on in our lives.

Anyone who knows me well enough to share their private thoughts knows that my husband and I tell each other everything and don't keep secrets. What difference does it make if he reads it himself or I tell him second-hand?

Anyway, 99% of my text conversations are utterly mundane. Pretty sure gf isn't going to be offended to learn that my husband knows she was frustrated installing underlay at work, any more than I'm offended that her husband knows I was struggling with an assignment. The other 1% are quick "hugs, kisses, I love you" type and that's hardly a secret either...

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of privacy. I think it causes more harm than good. It's a necessary evil in our present culture. But ideally, I would like to live in a society where no one keeps secrets and everyone's laundry is aired out. Things wouldn't seem like such a big deal when you realize how many other people are doing it. Transparency is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
I am not even interested in reading my partners' personal correspondence, although i have had almost unlimited opportunities to do so. It would bore the hell out of me. I'd rather come here and read about other people reading each other's messages. That's how boring it would be.
Exactly. Just because we can doesn't mean we do. He has no interest in hearing about my gf's day at work, and I have no interest in hearing his daughter bitch about her mom.
—bisexualbaker

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 04-11-2013 at 09:06 AM.