View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtoria View Post
That is where the language gets in the way. I dont' know about others, but we have tried to realize there is a difference between jealous and envy. I can be envious of someone else's good fortune without wanting to take it from them. Jealousy typically seems, to us at least, to be that not only are you unhappy that they have something you don't, but you don't want them to have it.

Granted other people might think the opposite but we found it important to know the difference and so have gone with those definitions.

So we go with the idea that you can have compersion and still be envious. Jealousy though, seems to be able to push out any compersion you might feel.

I agree with this completely. I could have said this myself, but you got to it first.

I do not believe that if two emotions are opposites or complementary or yin and yang to each other that just because one is present the other must also be present but is being canceled out by an excess of its counterpart. I don't believe that. If someone can provide evidence of a study that proves it, like if they hooked EEG electrodes to your brain and had you walk around for three days pushing the "Event" button any time you felt a strong emotional response to something, i would definitely consider reevaluating my position on this topic.

However, in my own experience i find that when i am feeling jealous and talk myself out of it, that's just a form of self-administered cognitive therapy, and there is no compersion to be found on the other side.