View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
LOL! OH MY GOD! If I didn't write things down I would lose myself! Totally understand that one!

here's a very short-not highly detailed-quick run down of the common forms ADD/ADHD are separated into.

"Inattentive Type": Trouble Paying Attention just like Winnie the Pooh
"Classic ADHD": Tiggers like to bounce, and may have ADHD...
"Over-Focused ADHD": Rabbit tends his garden, but is not "flexible"
"ADHD with Anxiety": Piglet is nervous and worries...
"ADHD and Depression": Eeyore is always so sad...

Something I found very interesting when we took my oldest daughter in. We didn't take her in for ADD. We took her in for depression and suicidal ideation. But anyway-they went through this list of behaviors/attitudes etc that seemed so broad. It was the list of common traits/behaviors of ADD/ADHD. They noted that it is often very different in "appearance" in girls/women then it is in boys/men.
For females-it tends to come out in a sense of perfectionism (or failure to meet those make believe standards) and result in severe depression-which is often seen via sleeping too much, eating too much, lack of energy, lack of motivation etc. (the exact opposite of what we think of when we think of ADD/ADHD).
"Typical signs of ADD in girls include:

Difficulty maintaining focus
Easily distracted
Disorganized and “messy”
Forgetful
Difficulty completing tasks
Daydreaming
Slow to process information and directions (It may even appear that they aren’t hearing you)
Careless
Often late (poor time management)"

This is an interesting article on the difference:
http://www.science20.com/science_mot...o_often_missed
Love the Pooh listing. =P I don't know anything about the over-focused type, though. I know that hyperfocus is something that comes and goes in inattentive types. This is where I find my most productive time. and I wish it never ended when it happens. I get a couple of hours of work done to perfection usually, up to a day if I'm really lucky. But then I feel even more drained of energy after it, that can last for weeks or months.

Also, I now feel like a girl. =P All those "more common for females" things, they all fit me.

The way I see "messiness", though, is actually highly organised. For me. I have everything where it is meant to be. and so I know where it is at all times.
Now, if I put an object down where it is not meant to be, I will lose it. Gone forever, or until I accidentally stumble upon it once again. It doesn't even have to be something small like keys, or even be far away. It could be on a shelf next to the desk where I usually put it, but it'll be invisible to me whilst I'm looking for it. Or I can put something into a different pocket in the same jacket, and still have a small panic attack when it isn't in the pocket it is meant to be in. >_<

and for the time management. I get around it, by always setting off earlier than I think I need to. I manage to get places very early instead. Still, sometimes too early. I have sat around for an hour before now. But always better than being late. and if I am late with a bus not turning up, or something, I'm still usually at least on time to where I need to be.
I know some people get around this more directly, by changing all their clocks to be a few minutes forward. So when it says they need to set off, they are actually setting off earlier. I don't use this myself, as I'd see it as "well I still have that 10 minutes, actually", and it would mess up what I already have.

What do you mean by careless, though? Because to me, that would be the same as "difficulty maintaining focus", or rather, the neglect from that difficulty. But perhaps you mean it as clumsy? Or as a lack of consideration of other people? Or even care-free. The "nothing in the world could bother me" type careless.
Other than clumsy, the other three apply to me in some way.
=]