View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Default "Do you know Doc?", redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
I think I need to decide on a policy. Vix has chosen to be open, but only to a point. She tells more trustworthy (or at least unavoidable) individuals that she occasionally travels with Doc to attend events; that she needs to be away from Atlanta in order to breathe, and Doc has a house in Germany that is too big for him and otherwise empty; and that they enjoy one another's company. As far as she's concerned, that's all anyone really needs to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
I'll think about this more, and pay attention the next time someone mentions Doc in my presence. I'll report back how I respond, and how it goes.

It will be good practice if I end up with another relationship of my own, especially if it's with someone in this same community.
So I was at a party last night and one of those in whom Vix confided most of the story asked me, "Where's [Vix] this evening?"

I told her Vix is off on her travels. The interlocutor asked: "On what continent?"

I said, "Europe," as if to say, "where else?"

(I note in hindsight that I was not the least bit nervous or flapped about all of this. Others not in the know, including a number who don't know Vix very well, overheard the conversation but, at the time, I really wasn't concerned about that.)

I described the big event Vix and Doc attended, one that involved formal attire from a past era, in an extraordinary setting. I said, "There are hoops involved, and a corset."

She made a joke of it: "On [Doc]??"

(It was pretty clear to me she was fishing for information, and maybe trying to gauge my reaction as well.)

I laughed, genuinely. "I'd like to see that!" I said.

There it is, then. A test of my resolve to be a little more courageous when people go fishing for information about Vix and Doc, and to be a little less concerned about what others think of it all.

I hope I passed!

Last edited by hyperskeptic; 04-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.