View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggagePatrol View Post
I have gone through long spells of monogamy in my life because partners weren't comfortable with non-monogamy/poly/being queer/whatever you want to call it. That doesn't mean that my philosophies on relationships changed, mind you. Just that my external lifestyle did, for awhile anyhow
And throughout those periods you identified as poly, yes? Or desired polyamorous relationships, yes? As pointed out elsewhere, that's all completely fine and supported as on topic.

Quote:
Not all tentative journeys into poly end in long term poly. Heck, FOL lived full poly for twelve years, and has now stepped back into monogamy. This is her story, and I'm sad that she can't be free to post what she feels, thinks, and experiences as she exits from a long-term life commitment to more than one person. Both her posts, and Matt's posts were so interesting, well written and informative.
No, not all journeys do. This site, however, is not a place for the sharing of all journeys. It's for polyfolk or those affected by polyamory in their current situations. Those who did poly in the past can add to discussions. The blogs are intended for those who are involved in poly in some fashion, even if it's being thwarted because of a mono partner.

And, yes, her posts are well-written and informative and interesting. That doesn't really enter into the equation, however, as the guidelines and mission apply to everybody. I'm certain there are many other couples who have tried poly and decided it's not for them and could blog about their monogamous marriage now...and those would also be off-topic. I doubt folks would complain about me pointing that out, however, as those folks haven't already established a presence on the boards prior.
[/QUOTE]

While polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all distinctly different approaches to non-monogamy, they are not mutually exlusive. Folks can, and some do, engage in more than one of them at a time--and it's all good.