View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
Omg omg people are human beings and not mindless sex toys! Hooda-thunket. Sheesh. It's really pathetic that people think this way. I can't believe some folks need to explain this or have it explained to them. Were we born and did we grow up, or did we develop in a pod or husk and suddenly arrive on the planet fully grown with no clue where we are or what is going on or that we aren't the only one here. Good thing we have the internet or nobody would know the difference between right and wrong.
Well, yeah, if you press them on it, most people might come around to the notion that they really should not use others for their own satisfaction. To paraphrase one of my favorite quotations, people can be counted on to do the right thing . . . after they've tried everything else, first.

It does seem to me, though, that we live in a culture that puts a lot of emphasis on seeking one's own private satisfaction, whatever that satisfaction may be - from wallowing in physical pleasure to following one's spiritual bliss.

More than this, many of us have grown up in a culture that does not do a very good job of giving us the language and the habits of mind to think very clearly about values and obligations.

In such circumstances, it's easy to get tripped up by language. So, even someone who can be counted on to do the right thing - eventually - might end up using a phrase like "it will enhance our marriage" to justify an unconventional course of action, without an inkling that the phrase is at all problematic.

It's only when that someone is offered an outside perspective, even just a mild protest - "I'm not an enhancement! I am a human being!" - that they might pause to think about their use of language and what it implies.

For good and for ill, the internet is one of the few places people who are quite radically unconventional can go to find those outside perspectives on themselves, their assumptions, their use of terms.