View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
It seems to me that there is a common belief in our society that thinking about something and doing something are totally separate things. (I'm suspecting that Descartes possibly started this with his incredibly powerful - and religiously motivated - division of the world into minds and bodies).

Anyway - I don't think that they are. Everything that a person may do - teach, program computers, ski, drive, play a musical instrument, garden - needs thought and planning on an ongoing basis. At work, we spend over 50% of our time in planning and analysis - the actual programming and testing part of our job isn't the bulk of it.

Philosophy is of immense practical help, in my opinion, because it helps people be better at the planning and thinking and problem solving parts of doing hands on stuff.
I assume that perhaps you may be from the US or Canada maybe, and that they don't have the same definition of practical? Or perhaps it's just not one you've come across. But as well as the meaning of practical to mean something feasable; is useful... It also has the meaning of hands-on. Something you indeed use your body for. Actually manipulating the world around you. In science specifically, is where we most often see it. As -practicals- are what we call the hands-on part of an experiment. Sure, you have all the planning beforehand, but the practical is the throwing chemicals at each other until they explode. and this was the definition of the word I was going by. Using the mind is VERY useful. But not hands-on. More clear?

Quote:
I hadn't heard of it. It looks fascinating. I agree with you - if you enjoy learning stuff like that, you'd probably have loads of fun with loads of IT stuff.

Do Lojban speakers have conventions and get togethers? One of my friends has been speaking Esperanto for years. He has friends all over the world that he's met at the get togethers he goes to. His daughter is 4 and speaks Esperanto and English which is very cute.

IP
I do very much enjoy computers. Had one in front of me since I was 5 years old. The computer I'm using now was the first one I ever built myself, for the specific purpose of music production. Hasn't failed me yet. But would definitely be great for all kinds of other computation.

I'm not really a typical Lojban speaker. I know of nobody in the small group of people who actually learn it.
and it seems that in general, the language is on a decline, with not a whole lot of new people taking it on. Even those who were early adopters, have moved on to other things. But I find the language itself interesting enough, just to learn for my own benefit. Esperanto is cool as a constructed language, but I wasted something specifically logical. Whereas Esperanto is a fully-fledged language, with tonnes of people now using it as their native language.

Esperanto definitely seems like the more useful constructed language in a communication setting. I think sign language is another great one for anyone who wishes to learn a useful language. As a musician, I understand how much I'd be losing of myself if I lost my hearing. So it may be of use for me to learn sign language later on down the road, too. As a visual learner, I imagine I'd pick that up rather easily. I've always been attracted to Russian, as well. Cyrillic script is beautiful in its harshness. =P
=]