View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 AM

PM I received when I logged on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylines508
Hi, I am a college student working on an ethnographic project learning about a culture separate of my own. My class was asked to discover an online community and become involved. I've been lurking on the site trying tho learn about the community it has. If you have more questions for me feel free to ask but I had a few questions for existing members.
1. What made you join this site?
2. What do you gain from this community?
3. How do you value the people you talk to on here?
Kristen
The first rule of polyamory is communication.

Please be honest about your motives in coming here. If you are doing a project for a course, tell the group you're doing a project for a course. Many of us have no objections to being research subjects, but the ethics committee in any college or university will insist that you tell your research subjects that they are research subjects.

Unless you are an undercover journalist, "become involved" does not mean hide your real motives and pretend to be one of the subjects you are studying. That is unethical research protocol and ought to get you kicked out of any respectable post-secondary institution.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."