View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtclustit View Post
I felt stupid for being so naive, if you have children get them vaccinated. There are something like 40 different viruses that are all within the human papillomavirus "family" that can cause mouth, throat, and genital warts and in women cervical cancer.
There are actually over 100 types of HPV. There are two vaccines. Here's the dope:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public Health Agency of Canada
What is HPV?

There are over 100 types of human papillomavirus (HPV), each one having a number to identify it, for example HPV-6, HPV-11, HPV-16 and HPV-18. Human papillomaviruses are viruses that can infect many parts of the body. Some types of HPV are sexually transmitted and can cause warts or other consequences such as cancer (e.g., cervical, penile and anal). The types of HPV that infect the anal and genital (anogenital) areas are not the same as the ones that infect other areas of the body such as the fingers, hands and face. The types which cause anogenital warts do not usually cause cancer.

The various types of HPV are often classified into low and high risk according to their association with cancer. The “low-risk” types are rarely associated with cancer. The “high-risk” types are more likely to lead to the development of cancer. Although certain types of HPV are associated with cancer, the development of HPV related cancer is considered a rare event.

How can you protect yourself from getting HPV?

While condoms do not eliminate the risk of HPV infection, using a condom consistently and properly during vaginal, anal and oral sex decreases the chances of getting HPV or passing it on to your partner. You need to remember that a condom can only protect the area it covers so it may be possible to become infected by any uncovered warts (e.g., on the scrotum). Using a condom will also help to protect you from other sexually transmitted infections and reduce the chances of unintended pregnancies.

Other ways to reduce your risk of infection include delaying sexual activity (waiting until you are older), limiting your number of sexual partners and considering your partners' sexual history as this can create a risk to yourself. (e.g. if they have had multiple partners previously).

There are now two HPV vaccines authorized for use in Canada: Gardasil® and Cervarix™.

Gardasil® provides protection against four HPV types: two that cause approximately 70 per cent of all cervical cancers (HPV-16, HPV-18) and two that cause approximately 90 per cent of all anogenital warts in males and females (HPV-6 and HPV-11). It is approved for use in females and males aged 9 to 26. In April 2011, Gardasil® was approved for use in women up to the age of 45 years.

Cervarix™ provides protection against the two HPV types that cause approximately 70 per cent of all cervical cancers (HPV-16 and HPV-18). It has been approved for use in females aged 10 to 25.
I hadn't realized that you could get one of the vaccines up to age 45 now. I'm going to call my doctor first thing on Monday and make an appointment. Last time I looked into it, I had missed the 9-26 window. This is good news!

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."