View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
What kind of property is in the public domain? Most property belongs to either a private person or a government entity. Even a public park has some entity in charge of its care and upkeep. Someone pays for mowing grass and repairing sidewalks, usually the taxpayers, through the municipality, but sometimes a cooperative organization. There are budgets and funding to make the public property accessible and safe for everyone, and rules that get made for maintaining such upkeep. It isn't free or cheap to maintain property, so why do vandals think they are entitled to leave their spraypaint on it?
Public property is exactly what the name says; property that is owned by the public. It may be actively cared for by a government or other organization but the actual owners of the property are considered to be the public. Sidewalks are an example of this.

It gets a lot cheaper when you arent shelling out thousands to constantly paint a building to maintain the process of gentrification and the illusion that people try to create with a clean facade.

Quote:
Sure, some of it looks good but if a person is stupid enough to leave their creation on something where it is not allowed to be, then they take a chance that it will be destroyed. There was a huge tower erected in a community garden in the East Village, made out of bits and pieces of junk, and it was torn down because it was considered unsafe. People were upset because they said it was art, but the creator of it didn't want to find a private location and pay to move it somewhere else, so away it goes. I had a wonderful art teacher once who said, "Never treat your art as too precious." Sometimes it has a short lifespan. So what? The world keeps spinning. Ask permission to do it first, and then put your graffiti up in an honest way, but there is a reason that graffiti artists scurry away like thieves trying not to get caught.
I'm not saying street art should be protected because it's art, I'm saying it should be left alone. There is a natural cycle with street art where pieces are overwritten and eventually obscured by more pieces, why not let that continue?
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."