View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonberry View Post
That's not how I've seen the word used. Heteronormative doesn't mean heterosexual. It means considering heterosexuality the norm to such an extent as to make no room for non-heterosexuality. It can mean assuming that everyone is straight, for instance, and ask females about their boyfriends and males about their girlfriends without considering that they might have someone of the same gender in their life. It can also mean, going further, saying that because heterosexuality is the norm, then anything else is abnormal and wrong.

Any time I've seen the word heteronormative being used, it's been clearly used to show that people were either active bigots, or simply blind to alternatives (straight privilege would be a synonym of the latter).
I see what you're saying. Now that you mention it, I do usually see the assumption of heterosexuality included, not just the particular fact of it in a given individual.

But I still think there's a difference between assuming heterosexuality to be the norm, and actually being bigoted against homosexuality.

It is the norm. "Norm" just means "that which most people are."

Without going into "why" people are homo/hetero/poly/mono, it's a matter of fact that most people on the planet identify as heterosexual and monogamous. That makes it the norm. There's nothing wrong with minorities, and pointing out that someone is a minority in no way poses judgement or discrimination on that basis.

But, doing a bit of a search on Google, I see that the discrimination you speak of is usually implied by the term "heteronormative" so I guess this is one of those cases where I just don't agree with the generally accepted view. Not the first time, won't be the last. It's fun being different!
—bisexualbaker