Thread: Musings
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
I learned more about living with someone, and loving them regardless of faults, from one of my dogs - the first dog I got as an adult.
Your dog sounds wonderful - an individual to go on a real journey with.

Funnily enough, it's knowing about how I relate to dogs that makes my cautious about poly. Of course I know I'm capable of loving more than one person romantically and more than one dog.

There is a big difference between knowing that the potential exists and being willing to start a new relationship or being willing to be supportive and friendly toward a new romantic relationship that my partner may want to start.

For the moment, poly is interesting to think about but I'm not at all sure that I want to practice it. Maybe one day. It did take me years and years of research, effort, life changes and thought before getting my first dog. I am cautious about starting anything that involves me becoming an integral part of an other individual's life. I need to be reasonably sure that I'm not going to find it overwhelming and give up.

My partner and I discuss it fairly regularly but for the moment, he knows that if he wishes to be actively poly again, he and I will have to work to shift our relationship to one of friendship to allow him to pursue that. But that I'm open to the possibility that my feelings may shift in time.

IP