View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Banned

Hey LR,

As a voice coach, I've worked with a couple of people who had neck surgery, though neither of them were dealing with spinal surgery. But they both had some ongoing spasms and voice trouble after their surgery that did resolve within a few months for one and within a few weeks for the other.

The muscles around the neck and throat are some of the most extreme examples of fine motor coordination. They are incredibly fine tuned and balanced with each other. Unfortunately that also means that they're fairly fragile. Just think of the huge effect that just some mild overuse can have on our voices. When one part of that group doesn't work for whatever reason, it usually means the others overcompensate as a response. But the muscles are so specialized that they cannot really handle anything other than what they were built for. So it only takes a little overcompensating for the muscles to start going a bit haywire. There could be a variety of reasons why one part has stopped working, but in your case it probably has to do with the trauma of surgery.

If I was seeing you in person, the next thing I'd ask you to do is draw a diagram of your neck and point to the areas where you feel that strangulation sensation. That might give me a better clue of what muscle groups are at play there. But the fact that your voice isn't affected is a VERY good sign.

That's the best I can offer without knowing more specifics. It might be helpful to see a voice therapist or otolaryngologist for that specific symptom.

Last edited by Ceoli; 01-08-2010 at 06:24 AM.