View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreatheDeeply View Post
distant Earth-look-alikes probably do exist
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who's always taken this for granted. Out of the million billion billion (10^24) stars in the observable universe, it was inconceivable to me that only one of them would have Earth-like conditions and be populated with intelligent organic life. I've always "known" that the universe is teeming with life and believed those who thought Earth was special to be incredibly arrogant. I have no proof of course, just like I have no proof that other people have consciousness, but it just always seemed self-evident.

I remember when my husband got all excited and was like "They discovered a planet around another star!" I was like... "Yeah, so?" Now bear in mind, he's a railroader and I'm a physicist. This was actually a pretty big deal in the physics world. PROOF of another planet. But to me, it was like "we just proved that 1+0=1" (which, by the way, we actually did in 4th year Set Theory, and it was about as exciting as it sounds... which is to say, not.)

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Last edited by SchrodingersCat; 03-14-2013 at 10:27 PM.