View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
When I read BG's question, I said to myself, sounds like someone in the mania stage of bipolar disorder. People who are manic can work amazingly long hours, on no sleep and be productive.

Indeed, i considered that, but a person with bipolar can't decide when they are manic and when they are depressed, or for how long, in order to accommodate their work schedule. In these high-end professions (as with most other-end lines of work) one needs to be able to perform at a certain level all the time. Unless she has some sort of job as a consultant who can make their own hours and blow things off at the last second because they scheduled a whole bunch of stuff during a manic episode and can't deal with it when the pendulum swings the other way. I didn't make an assumption about the wife being on cocaine, it was just a question.

Anyway, it sounds like it might only be a matter of time before she puts herself in some kind of danger. This doesn't sound like straight-up bipolar, it sounds like that plus a little of something else, and i am not a mental health professional (i have some experience from the other side though).

My other partner's mother was mentally ill, and they divorced when partner was a little kid. Partner was raised by their father and never saw their mother, although they wrote letters and she sent birthday card and such. Partner is not angry about it or screwed up by having a single parent. It would have been much worse if they had tried to stay together just for the kid.