View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blopez5293 View Post
Helo, I'm not so sure about that. I am a huge reader and love works from Catcher in the Rye to Harry Potter and Dean Koontz. In fact I have read so many books when pressed I have a hard time picking out a favorite. However, I was under the impression that this discussion was based on the premise that reading the required reading lists in school can turn a person away from reading for fun as an adult. I personally feel that a child who has been read to by their parents from birth is much more likely to form a lifetime love of reading than a child who does not grow up surrounded by books. And that what we read at school actually has very little, if anything, to do with personal choices about reading after high school. I for one have never met someone who loved reading before high school and then hated reading after being exposed to Chaucer or Steinbeck. I feel that in the end the biggest factor is the quantity of different reading material one is exposed to early in life.
Like I said, I totally grok the idea of a few people reading and enjoying things like Catcher in the Rye. But once everybody and their dog puts it on their favorite reading list, especially when they have NO OTHER SIGNS of enjoying reading, I get suspicious.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."