View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNeacail View Post
There are some religions that pass out deadly kool-aid too, it doesn't necessarily make them sane. Even if you did subscribe to this, being "interested" is NOT the same thing as actually taking action to make those thoughts a reality.
I didn't intend to endorse any religions or to say that "being interested" and "taking action" are the same thing, merely to point out that there are more than zero proponents for the idea that being interested is morally/ethically the same thing as actually taking action to make those thoughts a reality. There are large, widespread institutions that spread the idea "you're a bad person for wanting to do something bad whether you actually do it or not", and there's a decent chance that somebody's been exposed to them often enough for that teaching to have an effect on their sense of guilt. And I will say that my personal experience with it was that once you've learned to pass judgment on yourself on that basis - that you're just as guilty for desiring something (or "being interested") as for actually taking action - it can be difficult to unlearn regardless of what else you do or don't believe of that religion's teachings.