View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 PM

Fly and I have a lot in common. We both love to travel, have similar views regarding politics and being global citizens, enjoy some of the same music, both have an interest in healthy food and local food systems, we're both atheists, we agree in our parenting strategies, blah blah blah. But we don't actually do a lot together. We go out to dinner or ball games for dates, and travel together, but on a day-to-day basis we have our own stuff. I think we mesh well because on a large philosophical level, there aren't any conflicts, but we are independent enough to have something to talk about at the end of the day.

I'm with Fly because we make a great life team, because we create joy together, because we feed off each each other's energy and because it feels like our souls are in harmony. I feel like he values who I am and what I contribute to the world and specifically to his life. With him, I can be authentically me.

Moonlight and I have less in common philosophically, and she's a bit clingier than Fly, which is one of the reasons I probably would never live with her. Next door would be awesome, but our life views are different enough, and our need for personal time is different enough that there would be friction if we were in the same household. She and I have much more in common on a day-to-day basis, both enjoying theatrical and musical performances, weekend road trips, shopping, reading. We both also enjoy traditional romance, which Fly does not at all.

Moonlight and I work because we enjoy each other's company, because she's fun to be with, sexually attractive, and a sweet generous woman who takes care of everyone around her. She spoils me with attention, and I love to spoil her back.

So, I guess having hobbies and things like that can be fun, but I feel like broad, worldview-type things are more important as far as being in sync with a lover or partner.

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy, ultimately amicable breakup), and his 10-year-old son Kiddo