View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
For reasons articulated in this blog thread, I don't think I currently have the capacity for it: I have too much to do, and too little to offer to a relationship with someone else.
Don't be so sure. For every set of things someone has to offer, no matter how big or small, there are people open to just such an arrangement.

For example, I have a husband, a girlfriend, and a busy academic life. Someone like you would fit right into my life. You wouldn't put unrealistic demands on my time, and I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving you with my kitchen scraps.

Sure, that obviously means we could never have a relationship as deep and intimate as our marriages, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be special in its own right.

The analogy that comes to mind is silly but apt. Suppose you have a peanut and you see a squirrel. Sure, one little peanut won't get that squirrel through the winter. But maybe he's already got lots of acorns to eat, and even though he really likes acorns and they satisfy his hunger, he would enjoy the peanut as a special treat.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."