Thread: Life as it is
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 AM

Thank you hyperskeptic for your wonderful words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperskeptic View Post
It seems to me that obsessing about death in particular won't do anyone any good - the when and the how of it - but being always mindful of death in general - the "that" of it - is just part of being human; the existentialists might say it is a vital part of what makes us human, what makes humanity something distinctive.
I agree. I guess that makes me existentialist.

Quote:
Your life doesn't have to be rich and meaningful in some universal sense, or even in the eyes of the hypothetical people attending your funeral. It needs to be meaningful in your own eyes.
Very true. I think everyone in this forum has broken the "norm" defined by the universal sense. Like most here, I donít seek others' approval. We live our lives by different sets of rules. Like others here, I do what makes me feelÖ me.

Quote:
Nietzsche's myth of the eternal return - often misunderstood - is really about just that: Are you living the kind of life you would be willing to live, over and over again, without changing anything, for all eternity? How would you have to live so that you would long for such an affirmation, an eternal return of the same?
I'm saying you've already done plenty of things to regret, you just don't know what they are. It's when you discover them, when you see the folly in something you've done, and you wish that you had it do over, but you know you can't, because it's too late. So you pick that thing up, and carry it with you to remind you that life goes on, the world will spin without you, you really don't matter in the end. Then you will gain character, because honesty will reach out from inside and tattoo itself across your face.
~ Phil Cooper (Danny DeVito), from the motion picture The Big Kahuna.

If I have the power and multiple lives OR eternal life, Iíll change my life every single time. I donít want to have the same thing over and over again. Itíll be monotonous. Even 100% successful life will be boring then.