View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I think its necessary to differentiate between "polyamorists" and people who are not monogamous, the two are not necessarily the same.

I would term a "polyamorist" as someone who actively identifies as polyamorous and is to some degree involved in the local poly community and/or in some for of activism surrounding the idea of polyamory. They stay active and informed on the subject, read books about it, etc etc. They also tend to be more open about who they are and what they do.
In this instance i am using the term Polyamorist in a broad sense, so as not to get bogged down by "which flavor of poly is best" issues. I intended it as an inclusive label (something which i am loathe to do) for the purposes of the discussion.

That said, i think i will take a shot at hijacking my own thread

I am not comfortable with a "involvement in the community" provision as it feels to me like a price of admission. It seems exclusive, and elitist, and i just dont like it. For me it is akin to saying that a person who dedicates their life to jogging as far as possible is not an athlete because they do not compete in marathons. No recognition given for the countless hours, injuries, and sacrifices they have made, because they do not contribute to the process of athleticism.

Or like saying a gay man who does not have active involvement in LGBT issues. Attraction, romantic relationships, and sex with other men does not qualify if he doesnt participate in the community as well.

Personally the criteria you put forth would qualify a person as a polyamorous activist quite well, but i think it is defining too precisely a group of people who are by nature inclusive.

Proceed to lay waste to my logic..........NOW!
Life is all about connections. Love is infinite. Spread the wealth.