View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Excellent point, Nyc. One way to think about it is like this.

"We're looking for a third business partner to help us form a three-person corporation."
"Our two-person corporation is perfect and lacks for nothing (except someone with a better head for numbers, lol!), and we're looking to add a third person as an equal business partner."

Which one would be more likely to make you feel like you were actually getting in on the ground floor, actually going to have the opportunity to help steer the ship and see your vision play a major role, actually be *equal*, and which would be more likely to make you feel like the people who wrote it were actually just looking for an accountant? Honestly, I'd be wary of either offer... I'd much rather have someone say "Hey, I really admire your business acumen, and your accounting skills aren't bad either. I'm sure you've got your own things going on, but if you ever want to work with either of us in any way, let us know! We may be interested in starting a side venture or two, or we even be open to expanding the corporation some day if over time we found someone's vision complemented our own well."

Compare:
"We're looking for a third romantic partner to help us form a triad."
"Our dyad is perfect and lacks for nothing (except someone with a stronger sex drive, lol!), and we're looking to add a third person as an equal romantic partner."