Thread: Monogomish
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM

Labels, labels, labels. I've heard the term monogomish before, I have a poly acquaintance who is a label whore and loves to pin everyone into very specific boxes, whether they like it or not. Unsurprisingly, she's a huge Dan Savage fan. Personally, I can take him or leave him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Savage
So I've got a new word to describe relationships like yours, mine, and your mom's, IIC: "monogamish." We're mostly monogamous, not swingers, not actively looking. Monogamish.
(http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/S...ve?oid=9125045)
I doubt there are any specific "monogamish support groups" but then, what about your situation needs "support?" If you have any specific questions or concerns, this is a good place to ask them -- we've seen it all. But off hand, I haven't seen anyone here self-identify as having a monogamish relationship.

To me, that "self-identify" part is important. Someone might say to you "it sounds like you might have a monogamish relationship" and that gives you the chance to look it up and see if it applies. But under no circumstances is anyone allowed to unilaterally define your marriage except you and your husband. If you check out the monogamish label and decide it's just not something you want to use, then you don't have to, even if your friend wants to insist.

At the end of the day, all that really matters are the agreements you make with your partners. If everything is working for you, don't worry about what other people call it.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."