View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
I have been pondering this for a while. People here sometimes talk about having non-sexual partners, boyfriends and girlfriends.

I have to confess that I don't understand what is meant.

I suppose that what I'm asking is - what's different between a close friend and a non-sexual partner?
Short answer: Roughly the opposite of the difference between a partner and a friend with benefits...

Sex does not a romance make. I love my best friend. I love my husband. I don't love them in the same way, and the critical difference is not that I have sex with my husband. Poets have been trying to pen it down for centuries. There's just that magical "something" in romantic love that you do not feel in platonic love, and it's not just that your genitals get engorged with blood when you think about them.

I understand how it can be confusing. Just like an orgasm, you can't imagine it until you experience it.

Actually, from a scientific point of view, there's probably a very specific set of biochemicals responsible for that lovey feeling. I know oxytocin is one of them, but that's involved in any human bonding (including parent-child) so that can't be the only one... *roots around Google for a minute* *there* But I doubt that list is complete. Biochemistry is incredibly complex and humans understand a minuscule part of it.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."