View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixtoria View Post
Prescriptive is typically knowing what types of relationships you want and then looking to fill that role.
Not necessarily. Prescriptive can also be applied to existing relationships to impose limits on how those relationships are [not] allowed to progress.

Quote:
A lot of married couples going into poly get a bad rap. They are only interested in unicorn hunting or are putting restrictions on what other relationships could be and that gets looked down on. While we've never been unicorn hunters, and many single poly people also put restrictions up, it seems, to me anyway, that married couples get that reputation before they even open their mouths.
I don't think it's got anything to do with being married. If they are unicorn hunters, or if they are putting up unnecessary restrictions (i.e. rules rather than boundaries, or limitations on how other people may behave), then we call out the unicorn hunting or the restrictions themselves, not the fact that they're married. We call out non-married couples the same way.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."