View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JaneQSmythe View Post
A similar thing happened to me a few years ago when I was having issues with professional stresses, anxiety problems, and feeling like "a failure as a woman" for not being able to "give him" children (my issue, not his). After a few weeks/months of me working myself into a state and crying on him practically every night - he took my face in his hands, looked me in the eyes, and, with tears streaming down his face, said: "Honey, this can't go on like this. You are hurting and I don't know how to help you - it is tearing me up to see you like this. You NEED to talk to someone. I will help however I can but this is too much for us to handle on our own - it's not working." The next day I got the number for a counselor and made an appointment.

(And, I'm glad to report, that much of the problem was an accumulation of "too much at once" - did 3 months of therapy, took care of a few looming deadlines, got through a big family event - and I was back on track - still anxious/still stressed at times but no longer overwhelmed. Thanks honey!)

It's interesting isn't it? So the moment he (like my husband) started to take care of himself by telling you that it was too much for him, that he was hurting, it propelled you into action.
early forties, straight.