Thread: Disabilities
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Bridging the divide between minorities takes patience and useful, informative, civil, communication.... People that are poly, gay, trans, disabled, whatever, all have to learn this too. There is no "normal" person out there. Quite the opposite I think. We are all freaks and should be proud of it. Describing how that manifests in the world should be a source of pride not a reason to complain that people don't get us and they are in someway bad or wrong because they aren't defending us when we think they should be. They are just ill-informed or don't care. It shouldn't change our course in life to live and let live. If someone is ill-informed, educate. If they don't care, move on.... That's how I operate any way.
Building off the "there is no normal" person statement, and how describing ourselves should be a thing of pride; I try to avoid using terminology in general. Just a personal example is when asked my sexual preferences, I don't like to say "bisexual," but prefer to say "I'm attracted to both sexes." If I was asked about my relationship, I would prefer saying "Sonas is like a sister to me, and BoyF loves her and me, and we're all very happy together" than saying "oh, we're polyamorous" and then having to perhaps explain exactly what that means. Why not skip over the terms and just say what the actual situation is? Terminology only serves to make things the same, when in reality, no situation is the same. Simply describing what things are often works so much better, and I would think (and correct me if I'm wrong, because now I'm completely speculating) that someone who has a permanent leg injury would prefer being described as such than a "cripple" or "lame." Why lump together a diverse group of people with very different ways of functioning under the extremely un-descriptive and insulting title of "mentally ill," when in reality someone with schizophrenia is likely extremely different than someone with autism, and even two people with autism can be completely different from each other? Why is there even a category for those who are "ill..." compared to what, exactly?? Compared to how happy and healthy and whole the majority of people in the world are? Honestly, I've met a lot of people with "disorders" who are in a much better place than "normal" people.

Ok, rant done Sorry haha, that's just a personal philosophy of mine when it comes to terminology - I'm against it in any way shape or form, frankly, but when it is necessary for me to use it, for the sake of time or clarity, I always try to be a specific as possible!