View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyF View Post
But to answer why i dont really feel inclined to call my mom that often is because when i do call she never seems happy to hear me, she just rattles off these questions about school work and whether im doing it and what my grades are.
LOL! Guilty (about asking a million questions), but that's my job as a mom. My son doesn't like long phone conversations either. Just a suggestion - anticipate her questions.
Hi mom, I only have a minute, but though I would just calling to say Hi! Schools good, ___ class is really boring and I'm having to work my but off in _____ class. I think I'm catching a cold, but so is everyone else, I think I'll load up with vitamin C (or such). Works tedious, but paychecks are still coming. I'm still seeing Rhaenes and things are good. HOW ARE YOU?
She will have to answer your question before she can go back and comment on what you are doing. She may still gripe and complain, but you will know that you made the effort. You don't have to sit there and take the abuse, if things get weird, just say goodbye, and tell her you'll call her next week. The more often you do this, the easier it will be for both of you. If all else fails, just send a post card, who knows she might like that better.

This is a difficult transition for both of you. Your an adult, but not quite out on your own. It takes parents years sometimes to learn how to interact with adult children as adults. If there's counceling at school, it might not be a bad idea to talk to someone about how to navigate dealing with dysfunctional family dynamics.